Tuesday, September 05, 2006

This weekend, I met myself



My baby is laying beside my starting at me intently with his huge blue eyes. Its like he's wondering when is she leaving again? Ok, so I am feeling a wee bit guilty for being away from him for three days. But it was a great, busy, fun weekend. Nothing beats rekindling relationships lost over time and distance. Its even more wonderful when you realize time and distance never changed anything. It's even freakier, when you realize a cousin you haven't seen in 20 years is your clone.

To end the summer proper, I took the kids to the family cottage. My husband stayed home with the baby, who hates to travel. Hates his car seat, hates being on his back, hates being hot, or cold, hates being down, or being up. You get the idea. The three hour ride turns into a 5 or 6. So my husband took the baby to his family's for the weekend. I was free to take the boy and the girl to terrorize the great north. Pat mommy on the back for her bravery. Two small "slightly " busy children at the lakeside without dad to instill fear. I should be given an award for bravery.

However, I had grandparents, uncles, aunts, brothers and cousins to aide me in operation: keep my kids from drowning. It was successful. I brought two fully intact children home. I am proud.

It rained the entire time, but it never affected the mood or fun we had together.
Although I hadn't seen my cousin in 20 years, it felt like yesterday. We couldn't talk for 5 minutes without laughing uncontrollably. The more we talked, the more we said..ME TOO!! It was eerie in the good way. Despite years apart, we are very much alike. What a great way to end the summer, with a great new friendship. I can't wait to see where our zaniness will take us.

No comments: